Pyrenees

Pyrenees

Thursday, 18 September 2008

my fear of heights

I had to overcome my fear of heights three times in the last 1.5years.

Last year (2007) in May/June, I was working in Cedarpoint, a famous themepark in the U.S. which has 17 roller coasters. I took my first ever roller coaster (i mean the really thrilling ones), the Dragster, which goes up vertically, make a u-turn right at the highest point, and comes down vertically, twisting at the same time. Then I went on to take the many many roller coasters in the park and seriously, had a great time. In comparison, I did not even dare to take the roller coaster in Hong Kong Ocean Park 6 months back.

Just few weeks back in August, I took part in my company's "amazing race" and had to go through this obstacle course (rope) whereby I have to do things like flying fox, tarzan swings and walk on swaying logs at a certain height. I was really scared initially, but I knew I had to do it... and I did (so proud pof myself la)! Still remember back in secondary one when I had to climb a rock wall at the Punggol obstacle campsite during a school camp, I gave up halfway and had to climb back down step by step because I just couldn't let myself hang freely in the air!

These three weeks, I was on a job to do stock take of metal ingots/bars. These metal ingots are tied together in bundles and stacked on top of each other, side by side. The stacks came up to about a storey high and I was made to go up on a forklift and walk on these stacks. This reaffirmed one thing: Yes, I am still scared of heights!! I practically froze at certain points in time, and my feet even went numb because I was so still I wasn't moving AT ALL.

Work really puts me to the test, man. Bless me for the last week!

No comments: