Pyrenees

Pyrenees

Thursday, 6 October 2011

Updates!

I have been pretty occupied lately hence the lack of updates!

Ah C just finished his last check ride ( kind of like a test) for the current phase so we drove out of Del Rio for the weekend. We headed to this city called Frederisksburg, which is a German town where early German settlers resided. It still retains part of the German culture and is home to Texas German, a dialect. As last Saturday was Oktoberfest, there was a three-day carnival and we went for a half-day visit for some German bratwursts and German music & dance - pictures are up on facebook!

We also went outlet shopping AGAIN. As we are going snowboarding in November during Thanksgiving break, we went in search of some ski jackets and pants. We have shortlisted a few but will probably buy them later since it is still more than one month away. There are a few shops which i frequent while i am at the outlet so i am going to list down my favourites:
1. Calvin Klein - for underwear and lingerie! its really 60% cheaper here than in singapore, sometimes i think its crazy.
2. Crabtree and Evelyn - i bought 4 bottles of 500ml Jojoba Oil Moisturiser at US$49. I just checked the Crabtree sg website and a 250ml bottle retails at $35.
3. Ninewest and Aldo for shoes and bags.
4. Banana republic, Gap and Guess for clothes.
5. Kate Spade is cheap too but recently I haven't seen any nice designs.

Before the drive back to Del Rio, we made a stop at the oriental supermarket to stock up on some cooking supplies - i think i went crazy there. We chalked up a bill of USD198 all on food, food of all sorts - unagi, sushi rice mix, fishball, meatballs, xiao bai cai, nai bai (vege), pandan leaves, anchovies, groundnuts, rock sugar, hua diao jiu, egg noodle, lotus paste and red bean paste baos, hello panda, pocky, chocopie, korean seaweed snack, hichew etc etc.

At the rate I am cooking, I think I might be able to operate a hawker center when I am back....

I tried making char siew this week and it was yummy! Ah C say got hawker center standard. haahaa.



I also made dumplings last week and to make it less sinful, I used grounded lean turkey instead of grounded pork - partly cos the ground pork here is prepacked and i don't have the option of asking for leaner cuts. There is no dumpling skin for sale in Del Rio so I had to make some from scratch. Its a tedious process - I spent the entire morning, mainly to make the dumpling skin but the result was satisfying. When Ah C says "Its damn good", I know its all worthwhile :)





And....
I have decided to start my driving lessons here... and my instructor will be none other than TAY AH C! Haha. Its rather convenient to get a license here. Just need to pass this theory test (much like our basic theory) to obtain the learner's permit and I can start my driving with any licensed driver as my instructor. So right now, I need to mug this book, which unfortunately, I haven't started since obtaining one week back:


Ah C will be finishing his last flight today for this phase and he got permission to apply for leave the coming week. So we will be going to New Orleans for holiday! New Orleans has been named the most "unique city" in the United States hence I am really looking forward to it. I hear there is a lot of nice food there - 2 more days!

No comments: