Pyrenees

Pyrenees

Monday, 2 November 2009

My loves

Last week I saw a friend's friend's facebook photos.. she went to Le Cordon Bleu in Paris to study baking! Looking at the photos of her in classes, the cakes, bread, pies, cookies and bread that they baked.. makes me want to study Patisierie again. I guess thats what i really love.

Friday night, Ying, Keng and I went for desserts at Bakerzin after dinner. We had the choux pastry and molten chocolate cake.. they tasted so good! i told myself: i want to make and sell this in future.

I wish i can go to le cordon bleu sydney next year end to do the course.
I dun know when my dream of having my own cafe will come true, but i guess learning how to bake professionally will be a good start! Its ever so easy to just pick a recipe and bake according to instructions. But going commercial is not that simple. You really have to learn the character of each ingredient and how ingredients work together. You have to learn that if your bread turns dry, if ur souffle sinks, if your cake cracks, if your muffin is too dense - what is really wrong with it. And you need to know how to come up with new creations to distinguish yourself from other patisiers.

I am not particular about food which i eat (to fill my hunger), but I certainly can tell the difference between good and bad. I guess FOOD is really my interest. Not in the sense that I love to eat good food(who doesn't?), but my interest takes me to another level - Why does that paricular item tastes so good? Is it because of the quality/origin/freshness of the ingredient? Is it because of the way its cooked - the technique/time taken/control of temperature/different stages orfpreparation? Or is it there a special ingredient which was added? I like to know what I am eating.

Anyway check out this new Japanese restaurant at Orchard Ion - Itacho Sushi (I am a great lover of Japanese food and sushi is my favourite!). The sushi at Itacho is really good.. reminds me of the sushi I had in Japan. Yum!


Salmon sushi

Roasted mackerel sushi (Mackerel flown in from Tsukiji Fish Market in Japan!)

Yellowtail sushi

Wafu chicken salad


Crab and avocado salad

Chicken and carrot stew (hmm.. soup is too sweet..)

Home-made tofu
I seriously can eat these everyday.

No comments: